Monday, August 23, 2021

Travis Swafford Spends a Great Summer with Room in the Inn


I finished my internship at Room in the Inn a few weeks ago, and it was one of the most enjoyable experiences that I've had since coming to MBA. 

Although the two locations are a mere 15-minutes apart, the worlds of MBA and RITI seem to be in almost completely different realms. Each day I encountered situations that reminded me of both my privileges and the thin margin that separates Nashville's homeless population from a normal life. My daily duties most often included washing and folding laundry, sorting and distributing mail to our participants, and helping out with activities such as classes, karaoke, and games. The latter of these duties is where I really found my niche, as the cornhole competitions I organized were a hit among the participants and a great means for cultivating community and a friendly(yet competitive!) atmosphere. 

Throughout the experience, I learned from both the staff and participants at Room in the Inn how community and selflessness can foster hope and redemption for those whom life has hit the hardest. I am deeply grateful for my opportunity at Room in the Inn this summer and would love for others at MBA to have the same experience. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment